VIERA, Florida - The Superintendent of Brevard Public Schools said Tuesday night that the district will announce over $30 million in cuts next week that will be “sad and discouraging.”
Dr. Brian Binggeli said that the previously announced school closures and the elimination of corridor busing for choice schools will be on the list.
“I cannot see any set of circumstances that would have us not maintaining both recommendations to you,” he said.
The list, which will amount to cuts of over $30 million, was initially compiled by a focus group of principals and then approved by a broader group. Binggeli said that some of the items on the list have not been on previous lists of potential cuts.
The school closure recommendations presented to the board for the initial hearing were:
1. Close Clearlake Middle School and convert Cocoa High School to a junior/senior high school.
2. Close Gardendale Elementary School and send students to other Merritt Island schools and to the out-of-area students’ home schools.
3. Close Sea Park Elementary and move students to a school south of Satellite Beach and two schools north to Cocoa Beach and Cape Canaveral.
4. Close South Lake Elementary and send the students to other area schools.
Public meetings will be held on these closures in January before the public school board meeting January 22. The board voted 3-2 to advance the proposals to that meeting.
School Board member Amy Kneessey - who voted against the proposal - said she needed more specifics before she will vote to affirm. “I want to see dollars attached to these proposals because we are doing this to save money.”
Binggeli said that this process was necessary because currently the BPS is “budgeting virtually nothing for systems that will ultimately fail.” He said that the capital budget should be at $34 million and currently is at $3.25 million. He added that the budget proposal that will accompany cuts will add $10 million to the capital budget.